Need an instant help?
Initiate a chat to instantly talk to one of our dedicated holiday experts 24/7.No bots! Speak to a real support person, ready to answer your queries in a real time.
RYA Day Skipper Theory Online Course
Online course required before taking the Day Skipper practical course
ABOUT THE COURSE
- Includes handbook, charts and plotter
- Approx 40 to 45 Hours online learning
- Includes Navigation Pack, Handbook & Plotter
- Difficulty: Moderate
The RYA Day Skipper theory course prepares you for the practical where you can then put it all into practice. It is an extensive course for Motor and Sail with practical exercises using training charts and almanac to make it as realistic as possible. The course covers tidal waters enabling you to sail in tidal and no tidal areas. There is only support and two exams at the end to ensure you have understood.
- the basics of seamanship
- the essentials of coastal navigation and pilotage
- electronic charts
- position fixing
- plotting a course to steer
- weather forecasting and meteorology
- collision regulations
- construction, parts and equipment of a cruising boat
- emergency and safety procedures including distress calls,use of flares, safety harnesses, lifejackets and liferafts
What is included
- 6 Months access to the online training
- Navigation pack, post is at cost
- Pack includes training charts, almanac, handbook & Plotter
- 24/7 online instructor support
Frequently Asked Questions
Do I need to complete this prior to the Dayskipper Practical?
Yes we strongly advice completing all the Dayskipper theory, there is so much to cover in the practical course you need to already understand how to navigate so you can then practice it for real on the boat
When is the exam?
There is two exams, one on chart work and the other on general knowledge like collision regulation, tidal height calculation, day shapes and night lights. The exams are 90 minutes each, once you complete the online course you submit to complete the exams which can can do from home(except if you need it for commercial use)
How long is the course?
The course normally takes around 40 to 45 hours, you progress is saved as you go. There is online support 24/7 .
Cancellation will only be accepted on payment of the cancellation charges as set out below. The following cancellation fees apply:
• More than 4 weeks before course/event – loss of deposit, • Less than 4 weeks before course/event – 100% of price of course/event
This listing is listed for following charter options.
With Captain Only
Based on the choice of charter option set for this listing and your choice to avail these options under the process of booking this charter, an extra fee may be applicable, for eg; for availing Crew service.
Exact directions to the departure location will be provided after a confirmed booking.